Tuesday, April 9, 2013

English AND Kiswahili




One day, when all of us were home for the afternoon, I was playing with the girls. It was raining outside and there was no power (The power goes out quite regularly here). The girls speak two languages English and Kiswahili. They speak Kiswahili better than I do of course, since it is their native language. I had spent time with them before, teaching them all their body parts from their hair down to their chins. But this day we were working on learning some other parts like, arm, hand, tummy etc.
We were sitting down with a book that had pictures of the body with different parts labeled. I was telling them in English and out of nowhere the girls started to say them in Kiswahili. I was shocked. We had just started to learn them, and yet my little girls already knew so much. This showed me again how smart my precious girls already are. They never heard these words from me, or I do not think I ever used them. It reminded me too, that they are always learning, from everyone around them, not just me. ! We had fun teaching each other the names in English and Kiswahili!  So, that day I truly believe that both the girls and I learned something new! Life is an adventure with lots to learn here in Tanzania, even on a rainy day with no electricity!  

1 comment:

  1. Aw, this was a really good post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort
    to create a superb article… but what can I say… I put
    things off a whole lot and don't seem to get anything done.

    Also visit my blog post - legal amphetamines

    ReplyDelete