Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sickness



Being sick in Africa is probably one of the worst things that could happen to a person. I have been here for a couple of years now, while working for Small Steps for Compassion and previously for another orphanage, and have gotten very sick, but luckily, not too frequently. 
When I get sick it’s probably pretty much pointless for me to go to the hospital because it feels like the doctors do not know what they are doing. I had what turned out to be the flu once and went to the hospital. While there they told me that my blood was dirty. I am not sure how that’s possible, but I was even given medicine for my dirty blood. I have been sick with malaria as well, four times now. I hate malaria. Malaria is very common here. It is a disease that attacks your liver and you contract it through mosquitoes. With some forms of malaria they can stay in your liver and reoccur at any time.  You end up with a very high fever and feel just miserable.   I can’t do anything when I have it. Brhhhhh. 

Even with my girls I struggle when I take them to the doctor.  I am never satisfied.  I am always wondering if they have really been diagnosed properly. Luckily I have friends and family in America that are physicians so I usually contact somebody from home who can give me more valuable information. Sometimes Africa is frustrating, but I still love it here!

1 comment:

  1. Ksusha, I do hope you are feeling better. I know it must be so frustrating for you, especially when you're not feeling well. Just know that there are so many of us who are continually keeping you, your family and the girls in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete